Should we distribute libltdl?

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Should we distribute libltdl?
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 02:09:19 +0100

Hi,

we currently distribute a copy of libltdl as part of guile-core and
install it when libltdl is not already found in the system.

I think this is wrong since libltdl belongs to libtool and should be
installed by libtool and not by any number of programs that use it.

We do not distribute libgmp although we rely on it and we shouldn't
distribute libltdl although we rely on it.

I had the concrete problem that I couldn't do a "make distcheck"
without prior "make install" on a system where in fact libltdl was not
available.  But even if this is due to some bugs in the way that we
use libltdl, I think we should just treat libltdl as any other
external library.

It makes installing Guile slightly harder, but the behavior of Guile
is in fact simpler.

Opinions?

(I have committed the removal of libltdl already.)