building guile from CVS

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: building guile from CVS
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 13:09:39 +0100

Hi,

Configuring guile-core from CVS so that it builds requires a wizard.
Although I can claim to be an old autoconf and automake user, I needed
two hours and the help from Kevin Ryde to get it running.

Therefore I'd suggest that you add some instructions to guile-core/autogen.sh
so that it does become so extremely frustrating to attempt to build guile.

# =====================================================================
# The above commands can fail under some circumstances.
# Here are instructions for getting things working manually.
#
# 1) You need autoconf 2.59, automake 1.9.x in the $PATH.
#    You also need libtool >= 1.5 installed, say, under $LIBTOOL_PREFIX.
#    You also need gettext >= 0.11.2 installed, say, under $GETTEXT_PREFIX.
#
# 2) Use these commands to update guile-core:
#    $LIBTOOL_PREFIX/bin/libtoolize --force --copy --ltdl
#    cp $LIBTOOL_PREFIX/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 guile-config/libtool.m4
#    aclocal -I guile-config
#    autoconf
#    autoheader && touch config.h.in
#    automake -a
#    cp $GETTEXT_PREFIX/share/gettext/config.rpath config.rpath
#
# 3) Use these commands to update guile-core/guile-readline:
#    (cd guile-readline
#     aclocal -I ../guile-config
#     autoconf
#     automake -a
#    )
#
# 4) For the first configure, use
#    ./configure --enable-maintainer-mode

Bruno