Re: Proposal: allow "guile foo.scm"

From: Paul Jarc
Subject: Re: Proposal: allow "guile foo.scm"
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 10:19:37 -0500

>> What do you think of allowing guile to be run as "guile foo.scm"?

This has come up before.  It may already be in CVS; I don't remember.

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:
> But, I think your example fails to pass arguments to the guile
> process.

The kernel supplies the arguments.  Try it with "#!/usr/bin/env echo".

> Do you mean to include $0 address@hidden  Why can't you do
>
> #! /usr/bin/env guile -s $0 "$@"
> !#

Only one argument (in this case, "guile") can be included in the #!
line, or else you'll get different behavior on different platforms.
Some would give you a single argument containing 'guile -s $0 "$@"';
some would give you a just "guile"; perhaps there are some that would
give you "guile", "-s", "$0", and '"$@"' as separate arguments.  But
none of them will substitute the appropriate values for $0 and $@,
because this line is interpreted by the kernel, not the shell.

paul