hacking on 1.7 threads

From: Julian Graham
Subject: hacking on 1.7 threads
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 09:46:20 -0400

Hi guys,
  I'm trying to debug this thread cancellation patch I wrote against
CVS HEAD, and I'm having a bit of trouble sorting out the source
files.
  The first thing I noticed was that it didn't look like a new Pthread
was being created when I called call-with-new-thread from my Scheme
code; after looking in the Makefile, it looks like none of
threads-plugin.c, pthread-threads.c, and null-threads.c are getting
compiled -- they're all in this list of EXTRA_DIST files.  Am I
missing something?  How can the new threads system get used if it's
not even getting built in?
  Also, I noticed that coop-pthreads.c has a more recent CVS
modification time (if I'm reading the CVS log right) than threads.c,
even though the comments in both files lead me to believe that
threads.c is the future.  Am I missing something?  The way I figured
the new threading stuff was going to work was:

  - threads.c: implements generic thread-manipulation stuff, like
creating and freeing the scm_thread structure, etc.
  - threads-plugin.c, [threading-library]-threads.h: defines some
wrappers for the actual threading-library functions, such as the
scm_i_plugin_* functions.
  - [threading-library]-threads.c: contains any functions that need to
be implemented using the actual API from the chosen threading library.
 This is probably only a few things in most cases, since
threads-plugin maps the plugin functions directly to threading API
calls -- e.g., scm_i_plugin_thread_self -> pthread_self.

  Any corrections?

Cheers,
Julian