Re: AM_GNU_GETTEXT weirdness

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: AM_GNU_GETTEXT weirdness
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:13:41 +0200

Bruno Haible <address@hidden> writes:

> Marius Vollmer wrote:
>> There is at least one gettext implementation in Scheme and maybe we
>> could just ship that...
>
> [...]
> When libintl added extra features for Farsi and Arabic, you get them for
> free by using libintl. With the emulation approach, you need to emulate
> this as well, or you cannot use .mo files that make use of these features.
> It's a choice of "reuse vs. reimplement".

Yes.  I don't know much about i18n in general or gettext in
particular, and thus I have no real opinion on how complicated i18n is
and how much of that is covered by gettext.  In general, I'm a huge
fan of factoring out stuff: we had our own bignum arithmetic, but now
we use GNU mp for it.

Not using gettext only because we can't get it integrated into the
configure cruft of Guile seems silly, in any case.