Re: AM_GNU_GETTEXT weirdness

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: AM_GNU_GETTEXT weirdness
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:03:26 +0200

Bruno Haible <address@hidden> writes:

> autoreconf shouldn't run gettextize. This was fixed in autoconf-2.57.

Ahh, OK.  I think I have it sorted out now, and have reverted our
configure.in to use AM_GNU_GETTEXT.  Hacking on guile-core from CVS
will now require GNU gettext, but that is OK.

> Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
>
>> > I have no clues whatsoever about what the developers of auto* have in
>> > mind.  You'll have to ask Bruno about the AM_GNU_GETTEXT/libintl stuff.
>> > What I had initially, was
>> >
>> >     dnl i18n tests
>> >     AC_CHECK_HEADERS([libintl.h])
>> >     AC_CHECK_FUNCS(gettext)
>> >     if test $ac_cv_func_gettext = no; then
>> >        AC_CHECK_LIB(intl, gettext)
>> >     fi
>> >     AC_CHECK_FUNCS([bindtextdomain textdomain])
>> >
>> > maybe something like that is better?
>>
>> Bruno, what is your view?
>
> That autoconf test fails to detect an existing GNU libintl on _all_
> platforms.

In other words, it is buggy, right?

>> I have a hard time convincing myself now that gettext support should
>> be in the core, when I have, for example, not accepted SCTP.  Hmm.
>
> You have to estimate the importance of internationalization.

Yep, and also the importance of using the platform's gettext for it.
There is at least one gettext implementation in Scheme and maybe we
could just ship that...

In any case, with up-to-date-enough tools, everything seems to work
fine right now.  Thanks!