Re: i18n, gettext support

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: i18n, gettext support
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:38:13 +0200

Kevin Ryde wrote:
> > In the GNU 'xgettext' extractor and associated example I will support
> > whatever API you provide in guile.
>
> That'll be (_ "foo") won't it?  Being nice and compact, and already
> used.

The 'xgettext' extractor will recognize 'gettext', 'ngettext'. I can also
make it recognize '_' by default, no problem.

However, I don't think the _ should be built-in. Rather, applications will
define it differently than libraries: For an application, which typically
calls set!-textdomain, a programmer does

   (define _ gettext)

For a library, which must not interfere with the main application,
a programmer does

   (define (_ msgid) (gettext msgid "my-domain"))

[I hope Scheme has a package system or environment system that makes it
possible to distinguish _ in the application from _ in the library!]

Bruno