Re: i18n, gettext support

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: i18n, gettext support
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 11:34:01 +1000

Bruno Haible <address@hidden> writes:

> + SCM_API SCM scm_get_textdomain (void);
> + SCM_API SCM scm_set_textdomain (SCM domainname);

I think these could be a single textdomain func taking an optional
argument.  That's what's done for setlocale for instance, and it
matches the C routines.

> + SCM_API SCM scm_get_textdomain_dir (SCM domainname);
> + SCM_API SCM scm_set_textdomain_dir (SCM domainname, SCM directory);
> + SCM_API SCM scm_get_textdomain_codeset (SCM domainname);
> + SCM_API SCM scm_set_textdomain_codeset (SCM domainname, SCM encoding);

And I'd call these bindtextdomain, again for similarity to the C
routines they wrap.

> + static int
> + scm_validate_category (SCM category, const char *subr, int pos)
> + {
> +   if (scm_is_eq (category, scm_sym_LC_MESSAGES))
> +     return LC_MESSAGES;

LC_MESSAGES and friends already exist as variables.

> +   SCM_VARIABLE_SET (gettersym,
> +                 scm_make_procedure_with_setter (
> +                     SCM_VARIABLE_REF (gettersym),
> +                     SCM_VARIABLE_REF (settersym)));

Procedures with setters are not much used in the core.