Re: 1.8 time frame?

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: 1.8 time frame?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:30:53 +0200

> I understand that you can't give a definite ETA, but is "closer"
> measured in weeks, months or quarter years?

Months.

> In any case I would welcome this very much. Most of my contributions
> were due to LilyPond. I find it very frustrating to wait for years for
> my changes to show up.  I prefer released software with some rough
> edges to perfect software which is not released at all. Surely current
> CVS is better in all regards than the 1.6 release?

It is worse in the sense that it changes much more violently.  But
since we try to be more backwards compatible now, there shouldn't be
much harm in doing this.

> I don't see the point of postponing releases.

You are probably right, we should make more visible releases of the
1.7 series.  The snapshots are there, but you can't count them as
releases.

So, I will complete my string work (moving SRFI-14 into the core,
probably), and then make a 1.7.1 release.