Re: Initial SCTP support for the upcoming 1.6.5 release

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: Initial SCTP support for the upcoming 1.6.5 release
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:13:32 +1000

Michael Tuexen <address@hidden> writes:

> The argument, to use a function like getprotobyname
> to perform a lookup in /etc/protocols, is not valid in my opinion.
> The reason is, that besides I have not seen that, that  the
> constants above are defined in /usr/include/netinet/in.h and
> are used.

I don't want to go against the advice of the GNU/Linux man page.  It's
pretty explicit.

> So if, a system (I do not know of any such system),
> uses a different number for TCP, this number will not only be in
> /etc/protocols, but also in /usr/include/netinet/in.h. A different
> story are port numbers. They can (and should) be looked up in
> /etc/services.
> There are no constants describing the port number for an echo server...

Well I guess both protocol and service numbers for standard stuff are
constants.  I don't know why one reads a file instead of just putting
numbers in a program.  Maybe it dates right back to a time when such
things were still in flux.  Or maybe the theory is to avoid numbers
hard coded in programs (though strings hard coded aren't much better
:-).