Re: Initial SCTP support for the upcoming 1.6.5 release

From: Michael Tuexen
Subject: Re: Initial SCTP support for the upcoming 1.6.5 release
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 20:34:17 +0200

Hi Kevin,

that is great.

I thought once again about including

  /* protocol numbers */
#ifdef IPPROTO_SCTP
  scm_c_define ("IPPROTO_SCTP", SCM_MAKINUM (IPPROTO_SCTP));
#endif

#ifdef IPPROTO_TCP
  scm_c_define ("IPPROTO_TCP", SCM_MAKINUM (IPPROTO_TCP));
#endif

#ifdef IPPROTO_UDP
  scm_c_define ("IPPROTO_UDP", SCM_MAKINUM (IPPROTO_UDP));
#endif

in socket.c. The argument, to use a function like getprotobyname
to perform a lookup in /etc/protocols, is not valid in my opinion.
The reason is, that besides I have not seen that, that  the
constants above are defined in /usr/include/netinet/in.h and
are used. So if, a system (I do not know of any such system),
uses a different number for TCP, this number will not only be in
/etc/protocols, but also in /usr/include/netinet/in.h. A different
story are port numbers. They can (and should) be looked up in /etc/services.
There are no constants describing the port number for an echo server...

Best regards
Michael