Re: Initial SCTP support for the upcoming 1.6.5 release

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Initial SCTP support for the upcoming 1.6.5 release
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:44:43 -0500

Michael Tuexen <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm trying to build the SCTP support as a loadable module.
>
> Is there any documentation available (or an example) where
> I can figure out how I can solve the questions described
> below.
>
> I looked in the guile sources, but only found modules defined
> in scheme...

In general, C-only modules are deprecated.  The recommendation is that
you create a small .scm file for your module, and then have that load
your shared library and export your symbols, i.e.:

  (define-module (pcre))
  ;; exports at end of file.

  (let ((lib "libguile-pcre-v-1")
        (init-func "libguile_pcre_init"))
    (if (string=? (substring (version) 0 3) "1.4")
        (dynamic-call init-func (dynamic-link lib))
        (load-extension lib init-func)))

  ;; make any scheme side defines you that want to here.

  ;; export things here (though you could also do this above, or in
  ;; the define-module statement)

  ;; these exports will often be symbols that were defined during your
  ;; _init function above

  (export PCRE_MAJOR)
  (export PCRE_MINOR)

Now, presuming that your .scm file is in the %load-path (via
GUILE_LOAD_PATH, or whatever), and your shared library is in the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH (or default ld.so locations), then (use-modules
(pcre)) should work just fine.

--
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org; previously @cs.utexas.edu