Re: GH replacement proposal (includes a bit of Unicode)

From: tomas
Subject: Re: GH replacement proposal (includes a bit of Unicode)
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 08:52:34 +0200

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 11:40:03PM +0200, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Marius Vollmer wrote:
> >
> >>  Dirk Herrmann <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> >>  Yes, I agree that the -1 idiom is not self explaining, but it is well
> >>  established and people will instantly recognize it. I'd even argue
> >>
> > What about the -2 and so on?

For one (rather unimportant) data point -- I lean towards the -1 idiom
(given a sufficiently clear constant declaration, e.g.
#define NULLTERM -1). I'm on the `economic API' camp ;-)

But my leaning is not overly strong either...

> What about
>
>    SCM scm_from_locale_string (unsigned char *str);
>    SCM scm_from_locale_string_counted (unsigned char *str, size_t len);

What about ...stringn in the second case? (I'm thinking of snprintf
and friends).

Regards
-- tomás