Re: GH replacement proposal (includes a bit of Unicode)

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: GH replacement proposal (includes a bit of Unicode)
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 23:24:02 +0200

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> However, if we can provide the "copy into buffer" varieties for the
> common cases, and also provide common things like write_scm_string
> ourselves, then we should be able to make the need for locking so low
> that it wouldn't bother me, and we can document it with all kinds of
> warnings.

Yes, I agree.  The heap locking thing really is quite a sharp
tool... I wouldn't want people to pull it out wantonly.  In my current
proposal, heap locking wouldn't be implemented before we wouldn't have
moved to UTF-8 anyway, so I'll add a copy-to-buffer variant and mark
the heap locking stuff as 'maybe, eventually'.