bug in srfi-13

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: bug in srfi-13
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 17:50:01 +0200

test.scm:

        (use-modules (srfi srfi-13))
        (string-map
         (lambda (chr) (display (list " " (char->integer chr))) chr)
        "รถ")

=>

        byrd:~/usr/src/lilypond$ guile test.scm
        (  16777155)(  16777142)

after bugfix:

        byrd:~/usr/src/lilypond$ guile test.scm
        (  195)(  182)

there is still something broken in this function. For reasons beyond
my comprehension, the SCM_VALIDATE_SUBSTRING_SPEC_COPY macro has the
side effect of assigning to cstart and cend, and doing so wrongly.

May I suggest that future SCM_VALIDATE_*_  macros be renamed, for
example from

        SCM_VALIDATE_COPY

        SCM_VALIDATED_COPY

The latter implies that the macro does have a side effect.

Also, the naming of scm_{up,down}case functions was wrong; it should
be scm_c_{up,down}case.  I have changed this. I leave to Marius to
decide whether a backward compatibility must be maintained.

I am still puzzled why <ctype.h> isn't used.