Re: How do I really do this?

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: How do I really do this?
Date: 06 Mar 2004 12:17:32 +0000

Bruce Korb <address@hidden> writes:

> I would like to be able to associate a value with a string.

What level of uniqueness do you want?  If two strings with the same
contents are read twice, should the value associated with one
automatically be associated with the other.

> hash functions look perfect, except I can't use them unless
> I have a hash table and there isn't any clear way I've found
> to create hash table entries without having a hash table

You what?  What does it mean to create a hash table entry without a
hash table?

> I've tried:
>
>   (define (string->symbol (function-returning-string))
>           (value-function))

This is bizarre and makes no sense.  The syntax is wrong, and I can't
guess what you mean.

> I thought that to be really obvious, but I was wrong.
> If either of these mecanisms are documented somewhere,
> I'd gladly read it.  Meanwhile, can someone send me a hint?
> Thank you. - Bruce

No, although I'd like to!  Please ask again with more clarity.

        Neil