Re: pthread fast mutexes

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: pthread fast mutexes
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:33:49 +1000

Mikael Djurfeldt <address@hidden> writes:

>   pthread_mutex_unlock unlocks the given mutex. The mutex is assumed to
>   be locked and owned by the calling thread on entrance to
>   pthread_mutex_unlock.

I suppose it's unspecified what happens if you don't satisfy those
requirements.  I seem to get a segv.  (glibc 2.3.2, kernel 2.2.15)

Maybe the scheme mutex type will have to make a note of its state or
something, to be sure of obeying the rules.

> BUT, obviously, if these docs don't hold for the fast mutexes on other
> systems, then we can't use them on those systems.  How is
> pthread_mutex_unlock for a fast mutyex documented on your system?

I'm not sure where it's supposed to hide on debian.  I'm looking at
the linuxthreads/man/*.man pages in the glibc sources.  It says what
you said.