Re: scm_i_fraction_reduce thread safety

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: scm_i_fraction_reduce thread safety
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 20:49:14 +0200

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 16:45, Mikael Djurfeldt wrote:
> My view is that the current organization of threading in HEAD has a
> lot of promise.  It does give full concurrency, at the same time as it
> is usually quite easy to program for.

I don't have anything really constructive to add, but I do want to say
that concurrent threads would be wonderful. If you ever check the docs
for the python gstreamer bindings[1], you'll see the mess they get into
because the python interpreter is single-threaded (due to their
refcounting gc strategy). So really you can't write a quality DVD player
in python, because the callbacks and signals coming in from many threads
have to compete over one mutex.

So. Just a note of support for your efforts, they would be much
appreciated in media-land.
--
Andy Wingo <address@hidden>