Fwd: Re: Unrecognized \ sequences and Elisp

From: Roland Orre
Subject: Fwd: Re: Unrecognized \ sequences and Elisp
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 04:37:03 +0100

I'm a little concerned about the idea that general string handling
should include interpretation of the content of the string. I don't
really like it. We will get more and more issues like the one below
about elisp.

R5RS defines only \\ and \";  ``Scheme does not specify the effect
of  a  backslash  within  a  string that  is  not  followed  by  a
doublequote or backslash.

I consider the reason for escape sequences in strings is to be able
to express a " within a string, i.e. to be able to express a
character that we would otherwise not be able to put in the string.

I consider that it is better to have routines like read-ansi-string
and write-ansi-string, which was previously suggested, and otherwise
leave the rest of formatting to specific format strings as general
interpretation of escape sequences within strings will affect the
general handling of strings in different applications.

I think it is better to go back to the R5RS specification, which I
consider has been somewhat misinterpreted.
        Best regards
        Roland Orre