Re: srfi-26

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: Re: srfi-26
Date: 19 Jan 2004 10:43:54 -0600

Alex Shinn <address@hidden> writes:

> But how about the 14-line, not-significant-for-copyright version?
> There are only so many ways to implement cut without artificially
> using a round-about technique... if you won't take that code, I'll
> write a program to automatically generate every possible cut and
> post it to the list, forever banning Guile from using SRFI-26! :P

I believe, however, that the output of a program may not be
copyrighted by the program's copyright holder, except for substantial
verbatim excerpts.  For example, the template used by flex is
copyrighted in the output, but the real generated bits are not
copyrighted.  Therefore, if you post this generating program, that
could be done.

Furthermore, copyright does not guarantee uniqueness.  From RMS's
speech, "Software Patents: Barriers to Innovation":

    Copyrights cover copying. If you write a novel that turns out to
    be word-for-word the same with Gone with the Wind and you can
    prove you never saw Gone with the Wind, that would be a defense to
    any accusation of copyright infringement.

:P

--
Stephen Compall or s11 or sirian

Charlie was a chemist,
But Charlie is no more.
For what he thought was H2O,
Was H2SO4.

asset supercomputer IDEA Medco BRLO Sundevil genetic Blowpipe EuroFed
JPL CID Ceridian Lon Horiuchi INS SDI