Re: Worrying development

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Worrying development
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:05:23 +0100

Roland Orre <address@hidden> writes:

> I suggest that shared substrings are moved back to guile.

Agreed.

I'm sorry for previously giving the impression that shared substrings
wont come back.

There is no problem on the Scheme side of things: we can just add
shared substrings and make it a proper subtype of 'string'.

The problem lies with C code and there only with the low level API
consisting of SCM_STRINGP, SCM_STRING_CHARS etc.  Functions like
scm_c_string2str can be updated to just continue to work.

Shared substrings also touch on the issues of using Unicode in Guile
and on making sure we have a nice type conversion API that can replace
gh_ in all respects.

I'd like to do it in this order:

 - type conversion API (which allows for different encodings of
   strings, but doesn't need it immediately) (the first part of this
   was the 'frame' stuff for handling unwinds in C).

 - Unicode (with shared substrings in mind).

 - shared substrings

Of course, we shouldn't do too much lest 1.8 wont happen...

I'll try to put forth a proposal in the next days for the string part
of the type conversion API that allows Unicode and shared substrings.