Re: text buffers (was Re: Unicode and Guile)

From: Stephen Compall
Subject: Re: text buffers (was Re: Unicode and Guile)
Date: 04 Nov 2003 10:04:08 +0000

Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:

> 1) buffers that aren't entirely memory resident but that are paged in
>    "on demand"  (for huge texts)

I did in fact think about these -- wrapping the buffer interface
around mmap, and abusing the gap seriously, maybe even making it a
separate buffer.  I also thought about "read on demand", particularly
for network access, in which data won't be downloaded until its buffer
position or after is accessed.  But if the class system won't allow
just anyone to do this cleanly, without cluttering the base
implementation (besides adding new hooks), then I won't look at it
again.  Besides, as you said, it's not good to pursue such premature
optimization :)

--
Stephen Compall or s11 or sirian

If the meanings of "true" and "false" were switched, then this sentence
would not be false.

anarchy encryption Defcon Bellcore LABLINK UNSCOM Janet Reno Ron Brown
MP5K-SD colonel tempest Aldergrove fraud smuggle NORAD