Re: Unicode and Guile

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: Unicode and Guile
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 07:23:00 +1000

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> This has the advantage that ASCII characters up to 127 are
> represented the same. Of course, above that characters might take up to
> eight bytes, which means that all code that processes user-input strings
> has to be changed.

There'll be a compatibility question for SCM_STRING_CHARS I think.
Application C code may be using that expecting to see chars as 8 bits,
not some encoded form.

Not sure quite how bad this will be though.  If people use strings to
hold raw 8-bit data from a socket or something then it's no doubt
pretty important to make sure they pass straight through, somehow.

There might be another question for SCM_CHAR.  It's got 24 bits (if
I'm not mistaken), if that's not enough then changing the relevant
macros will break binary compatibility.  (Not a terribly big deal, but
a bit annoying.)