Re: Support for (system '("echo" "foo" "bar"))

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: Support for (system '("echo" "foo" "bar"))
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 07:48:56 +1000

address@hidden (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Is it possible to guarantee that the child will not trigger garbage
> collection?

Probably not.  A good reason to do it in C.  (Though it could be
argued that it ought to be possible to this sort of thing safely at
the scheme level, somehow.)

Incidentally, looking at glibc sysdeps/posix/system.c, it seems to
ignore SIGINT and SIGQUIT in the parent while running the child.  I'm
not up with the standards or conventions on this, but for maximum
compatibility I suppose a "system*" might like to do the same.

(A spawn-only variant probably wouldn't want to.)