Re: Support for (system '("echo" "foo" "bar"))

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: Support for (system '("echo" "foo" "bar"))
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 06:15:17 +1000

address@hidden (Paul Jarc) writes:

> Oops, right.  Kevin also mentioned using _exit.  I'm not sure why that
> would be important,

When exiting due to an exec failure, you generally don't want to run
atexit handlers or flush stdio buffers.  Those things of course are
not done if the exec succeeds.

In particular in guile-gtk the gtk atexit handlers do some shutdowns
on the X connection, rendering it unusable back in the parent.

> but if it is, then we'd also need a primitive-_exit Scheme binding.

There was a bug report requesting that, or that primitive-exit change
to be _exit anyway.