Re: get-internal-real-time using times()

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: get-internal-real-time using times()
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 08:47:37 +1000

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> Hmm.  You mean because of timezones

Timezones and daylight saving won't affect ftime on a unix system, but
might on DOS where the system time is local time.

> /leap-foo,

Not sure what normally happens for leap seconds.  If the system time
is properly tied to UTC like srfi-19.scm assumes then I think for a
leap second 23:59:59 to 00:00:00 will take 2 seconds of real time.  I
imagine only serious users would attempt to enforce that though.

> etc.?

Sudden changes with stime would be the main concern, gradual changes
with adjtime would be less of a worry but still not ideal.

> If so, good
> point.  I'd say we need better docs, better functions, or both, and
> either way, a good NEWS entry.

Oh well, these sort of things always depend on the intended usage,
which is why I ask about the current theory.  I'd certainly like to
tighten up the docs though.