Re: get-internal-real-time using times()

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: get-internal-real-time using times()
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 09:46:29 +1000

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> If the old semantics of
> get-internal-real-time relied on ftime, then people may have written
> code that depends on the fact that get-internal-real-time has been
> returning wall-clock time,

I guess that's possible, though I might think it unlikely anyone who
understands the distinction would assume a function called `real-time'
in fact gives wall time.

> and in fact, when contrasted to
> get-internal-run-time's description (and given familiarity with the
> "times" distinctions), that might be a reasonable presumption.

Or one could assume that since -run-time is unaffected then -real-time
is also unaffected.

If the system time doesn't change too often then I guess there's not
much difference.  But I can't help thinking that it's not good for a
function called real-time to go backwards or suddenly jump forwards.