Re: threadsafe format.scm

From: Clinton Ebadi
Subject: Re: threadsafe format.scm
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:39:32 -0400

On Thursday 31 July 2003 18:11, Kevin Ryde wrote:
> Clinton Ebadi <address@hidden> writes:
> > I moved all of the global definitions into a new format procedure that
> > has a really long letrec.
>
> format:version looks like it's a constant, so wouldn't need to be in
> there.

Right, but I just did a quick wrapping of everything inside of one huge
procedure so nothing was global anymore. I don't know if there is really any
point to making format:version be bound outside of the procedure because
nothing outside of the new format uses it.

> > so I'm not entirely sure if this has a huge amount of overhead or
> > not.
>
> If you want to look at efficiency, changing the error continuation to
> a catch/throw would probably help.

Right, this code existed before Guile did. I was really wondering if having
the long letrec would cause any overhead problems (e.g. if it were evaluated
and everything inside of it rebound upon each call instead of once when the
module was loaded). But I'm not sure how Guile handles form like letrec so I
don't know if the procedure now has unacceptable overhead.

I'll rework the error-continuation and send a third revision of the patch, but
I'd like to know if anyone has used the new format and found their programs
to run slower.

--
http://unknownlamer.org
AIM:unknownlamer IRC:address@hidden