Re: scm_remember_upto_here asm volatile

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: Re: scm_remember_upto_here asm volatile
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 21:29:28 +0200

[Answers given "out-of-context"---can't read the thread right now.]

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> And since a GC does only run when all other threads are stopped in a
> safe place, there won't be any GCs at critical moments.

That's right.

> Since this is so convenient, I think we should continue to make this
> guarantee (that a GC wont happen spontanously).  Mikael?

Yes, I think this at least gives a simple model for what to expect.

Any other more conservative model might have the advantage to preserve
more freedom to change the GC/thread policy in the future, but will
also need to be much more complex.  Besides, we wouldn't know now what
kind of cautions are important to think about...

(Was that answer intelligible? :)

Mikael