Re: How do I determine the argument type...

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: How do I determine the argument type...
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 17:34:17 -0700

Kevin Ryde wrote:

> Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > Ahh, I see.  Yes, it was not a good thing to change gh_new2str that
> > way.  I'm not sure what to do about this.  Changing this back is just
> > as bad as the original change from int to size_t.
>
> The manual still says "int".  Maybe call it a bug fix and put it back
> to that.
>
> Or making it a macro could hide the variation for plain calls, which
> is presumably most usages.

A macro cannot hide the problem.  You cannot set it back to int without
breaking everyone who adapted to size_t.  The best choice is to just
say, "Oops.  Sorry.  Either reject Guile 1.4 or use this configury macro
to specify the type passed to gh_scm2newstr()."  Or, alternatively,
always pass NULL as the second argument.  Don't go back, though.  Thanks!