Re: documentation.scm close files

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: documentation.scm close files
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 08:54:19 +1000

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> Maybe we should even make the GC emit warnings when
> it sweeps open ports.  Closing a port can raise errors and they can't
> really be handled from within the GC.

I suppose if a program has forgotten about a port it's not really
interested in errors from it any more :-).  Might have been a read
error that made it bail out in the first place.

I'm thinking to add some words to the manual to say why it's good to
close explicitly, and the consequences of not doing so.  Perhaps in
the "File Ports" node, with cross references from fdes, pipe and
socket stuff.