Re: How do I determine the argument type...

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: How do I determine the argument type...
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 19:59:05 -0700

Marius Vollmer wrote:

> Ahh, I see.  Yes, it was not a good thing to change gh_new2str that
> way.  I'm not sure what to do about this.  Changing this back is just
> as bad as the original change from int to size_t.

Right.  So, what to do now is set up a config macro that
puts an scm2newstr_size_t into config.h and provide it for your
clients (e.g. me).

> Personally, I would stop supporting Guile 1.4 and just require Guile
> 1.6 for newer versions of your code...

Not a good choice until 1.4 becomes fairly rare.  A few more years yet.
Heck, some people still sweat K&R compilers and functionless shells!

> I dirty workaround, in this particular case, might be to always pass
> NULL as lenp and get the length via scm_string_length

I thought of that and, in the end, I devised a way to avoid the
offending calls.  The code is tighter now.  :-)

But, the truth is, this is just an annoyance problem.  I would _really_
like to fix the error messages emitted by libguile without having to
read source code to figure out how to rewrite gh_eval_str to be able
to plug in a file name and line number.  I've actually made a couple
of runs at it, but I confess to finding the code a bit difficult to
follow..... :-(

Regards,
        Bruce