Re: scm_remember_upto_here asm volatile

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: scm_remember_upto_here asm volatile
Date: 17 May 2003 22:26:12 +0200

Kevin Ryde <address@hidden> writes:

> I was contemplating scm_remember_upto_here_1 and friends and wondered
> if thought had been given to doing them in gcc as
>
>     #define scm_remember_upto_here_1(x)             \
>       do {                                          \
>         asm volatile ("" : : "g" (x));              \
>       } while (0)

I can't think of or remember any arguments against this, other than
that I have grown a bit vary of "asm", given that my only use of asm
has been quite wrong.  When you are sure that your code does the job,
then, yeah, why not.

But please understand that this is a critical and tricky corner of
Guile.  Bugs might show up on odd platforms and might be very
sensitive to the environment that scm_remember_upto_here is used in.
I tend to be conservative with things like this.  The win is not that
huge, as you, say, but I myself feel a bit unsure about the
correctness.  But I'm not a good judge here, I'd say.