Re: Re-addition of deprecated stuff to 1.7.

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: Re-addition of deprecated stuff to 1.7.
Date: 26 Apr 2003 09:31:23 +0100

    Marius> Hi, I have started to re-add most of the things that were
    Marius> deprecated in 1.6 and removed in 1.7.  I hope everyone
    Marius> agrees that this is OK.

Yes, but can it be done in a way that the back compatible bits are
kept separate from the core?  A while ago you mentioned something like
_GNU_SOURCE, which seems exactly right to me.

For example, an application would just say

#define _GUILE_SOURCE 1.6
#include <libguile.h>

And a 1.7.x/1.8.x libguile.h would have something at the end like

#if _GUILE_SOURCE = 1.6
#include <guile/compat-1.6.h>
#endif

Similarly, any back compatibility object code would ideally be in
libguile-compat-1.6.so; although I'm not sure how to make the linking
in of the extra library as automatic as possible for the application
author.

    Marius> The idea is that we should backwards compatability for a
    Marius> longer time when it is easy enough to do.  I am adding the
    Marius> things in as clean a way as possible, so that they do not
    Marius> get in the way of the mainline code.

It's possible that I may have described what you are already doing,
then :-)

        Neil