Re: bug in throw.c

From: Christopher Cramer
Subject: Re: bug in throw.c
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 01:31:06 -0500

On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 05:01:36PM -0700, David Mosberger-Tang wrote:
> #if 0/*def __GNUC__*/
>   /* Dirk:FIXME:: This bugfix should be removed some time. */
>   /* GCC 2.95.2 has a bug in its optimizer that makes it generate
>      incorrect code sometimes.  This barrier stops it from being too
>      clever. */
>   asm volatile ("" : "=g" (winds));
> #endif
>
> This is clearly bogus: the asm statement claims that it's writing the
> "winds" variable, which isn't true.  On ia64, this has the effect that
> the "winds" gets corrupted and comes out with value "1".  Just

Now, I haven't checked up on the changes in recent GCC versions, but
that behavior seems really odd to me. How does it change the value of a
variable if you put in an empty asm statement that only claims to change
the variable?

This is a common tactic to defeat the optimizer. I don't understand
why GCC would suddenly have problems with this.

--
Christopher Cramer <address@hidden> <http://www.pyro.net/~crayc/>
"People said it couldn't be that our soldiers would do such things. Now