Re-addition of deprecated stuff to 1.7.

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re-addition of deprecated stuff to 1.7.
Date: 26 Mar 2003 19:04:30 +0100

Hi,

I have started to re-add most of the things that were deprecated in
1.6 and removed in 1.7.  I hope everyone agrees that this is OK.

The idea is that we should backwards compatability for a longer time
when it is easy enough to do.  I am adding the things in as clean a
way as possible, so that they do not get in the way of the mainline
code.