Re: Improving error messages

From: Wolfgang Jaehrling
Subject: Re: Improving error messages
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 14:04:45 +0100

On Wed, Mar 19, 2003 at 08:48:12PM +0100, Marius Vollmer wrote:
> Yes, very much!  And even more, we don't need to keep all these
> scm_s_expression constants.  They only remove the message text from
> the point where the message is issued.  That's a minor nuisance, I'd
> say.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I like the idea, but the constants are
also declared in eval.h like this:

SCM_API const char scm_s_expression[];

So it seems to me like they are part of the API.  (However, if it ever
becomes feasable to internationalize Guile to provide error messages
in the native language of the user, this aspect of the API would most
likely have to be changed anyway in one way or another.)

Any opinions?

> (I s'pose there is no problem getting "the papers" from you, right?)

If I have a working and complete patch and you say that you like it,
I'll have to contact address@hidden, right?

Cheers,
GNU/Wolfgang