Re: pkg-config support for guile

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: pkg-config support for guile
Date: 23 Mar 2003 00:31:37 +0100

Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:

> Here is a patch against guile-1.6.1 to add pkg-config support.

Thanks.  I'm not sure what to do about this, tho.

I don't think we should offer two ways to get configuration
information about Guile.  When pkgconfig is better than our current
method, we should use it exclusively.  When not, we should keep our
current stuff.

(When I say "we should use pkgconfig exclusively", I mean we should
use it to re-implement guile-config in a compatible way.  We should
definitely continue to offer the guile-config interface.)

> The file won't be useful without pkg-config installed, of course,
> but this gives users a choice of configuration means.

Why would they need this choice?  [genuine question(tm)]