Re: Summary of config.h variables and questions.

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: Summary of config.h variables and questions.
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 08:10:52 +1000

Rob Browning <address@hidden> writes:

> Note that "const" and "inline" above are normally #defined by
> configure in config.h to be something suitable for the given platform
> when possible, or #undef'ed otherwise.  If we have been (or want to)
> take advantage of this facility in our public headers, we probably
> need to use SCM_INLINE and SCM_CONST or similar...

It's worth bearing in mind that const and inline are aspects of the
compiler, so ideally they'd be determined based on #ifdefs, allowing
an application to be built with a different compiler than guile was
compiled with.

I'd suspect const doesn't need to be tested these days, especially not
if K&R isn't supported by the rest of the header file stuff.

For inline, maybe just testing for gcc or C++ would be enough, and let
anyone using a vendor compiler put their hand up.  If inline is only
used for optimizations then there'd be no great loss if a few non-free
compilers missed out on it.