Re: gmp issues (long)

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: gmp issues (long)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:08:41 -0600

Stephen Compall <address@hidden> writes:

> Rob Browning wrote:
>      replace the _mp_size field with a short, since I doubt that we'd
>      ever be likely to overflow long data[MAX_SHORT] digits. (What was
>      the size limit, if any, on our old bignums?).
>
> My first use of GMP in C (after the requisite playing around while
> learning) was to try to build up a Godel number as an example in a
> project involving semigroups I'm working on (OT). After creating one of
> these numbers, I believe the memory usage of the mpz_t & friends was ~5
> MB. While this was an abnormal case, it's still far off from 256k.
> er....

Wow.  That's a pretty giant number :>

OK.  If we want to accomodate numbers this big without a 2-tier hybrid
approach, or something, people should adjust my storage computations
to account for a 4-byte size rather than a 2-byte-size.

Also, just for comparison, and presuming I read the code correctly,
our previous implementation used a 16-bit (plus sign bit) size field,
so moving to a 4-byte size field would be a substantial increase over
what we supported before.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu