Re: Nearly finished (re)integrating GMP for bignums.

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: Nearly finished (re)integrating GMP for bignums.
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 12:57:34 -0600

Mikael Djurfeldt <address@hidden> writes:

> 2. What do you mean by a "good" RNG?  I'd say it is good if it is
>    fast.  Our generator is fast.

I wonder how fast the GMP RNGs are (I currently have no idea).

> Ideally, the bignum code would use the pluggable source of random
> bits in random.c and the GMP generators would be provided as
> optional plugins for random.c.  Rob, is this possible?

I'm not sure yet -- what I was considering was if (in the short term)
I can just replace the one BIGNUM based chunk of code in there with
calls to manipulate GMPs (or just calls to scm_i_big* functions).  At
the very least, the code has to be changed so that it doesn't try to
manipulate BIGDIG stuff directly anymore since all the implementation
specific stuff is gone.

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu