Re: scm_make_gsubr question

From: William Morgan
Subject: Re: scm_make_gsubr question
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:07:08 -0500

Excerpts (reformatted) from Mikael Djurfeldt's mail of 20 Jan 2003 (EST):
> I don't think it's a good idea to add this to gsubrs.

My question is partially mitigated by your reply below, but I think it's
worth considering who your target audience is:

If it includes C programmers who want to link Guile in as a scripting
language, possibly who are not very fluent in Scheme, and possibly (as
was the case on guile-user recently) in addition to other scripting
languages, then this should be as easy as possible for them to do.

But if doing fairly reasonable (IMO) things like this requires
understanding tricky concepts and significant Guile-specific changes to
one's application, I think you risk alienating that class of users.

At any rate, I will defer to your (collective) judgement.

> We already have three different ways to do it:
>
> 1. applicable smobs
>
> 2. compiled closures (cclo)
>
> 3. entities and operators (applicable structs)
>
> Of these, 1 and 2 are easy to do from C.

This sounds promising. But I can't find any documentation on any of
these. In particular, can anyone point me to something for #1 or #2?

Thank you,

--
William <address@hidden>