Re: Are Matrix extension for Guile and FFTW part of Guile?

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: Re: Are Matrix extension for Guile and FFTW part of Guile?
Date: 02 Jan 2003 21:05:27 +0100

Mikael Djurfeldt <address@hidden> said:

> Mathieu Roy <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Mikael Djurfeldt recently asked reclassification of the projects "FFTW
> > bindings for Guile" and "Matrix extension for Guile" to the GNU
> > category on Savannah, as they were in the non-GNU category.
> >
> > http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/guile-fftw/
> > http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/guile-matrix/
> >
> > The main reason was the fact that thoses extensions are Guile
> > extension. I understood that it was official Guile extension, official
> > part of the Guile project, and so, official part of the GNU project.
> >
> > Today, someone noticed that we are absolutely not sure that thoses
> > extensions are subprojects of the Guile project.
> >
> > So the question is : are thoses extensions part of the Guile project,
> > and so should remains as GNU, or is it a misunderstanding and should
> > they be, one more time, reclassified?
>
> guile-fftw and guile-matrix are projects initiated by me and are not
> officially parts of Guile.  I have never claimed that they are before
> this message.

Ok.
But in fact, I wrongly assumed that you were saying that they are
since if they're not, there's absolutely no reason to consider them
GNU package.

> But, guile-fftw and guile-matrix are extensions to Guile and since
> I've assigned copyright to the FSF for all extensions to Guile which
> I write, I don't see why there should be any problem in denoting
> them as GNU projects.  What more than that is required?

Assigning copyright and making a project part of the GNU project are two
differents things.

Assigning copyright can be usefull to fix potential legal issues and
to let FSF taking care of license violation while making a project
part of the GNU project means following GNU standards and being
approved by the GNU project (in fact, by Richard Stallman).

> If it is necessary for legal reasons I hereby, as an official Guile
> developer, declare guile-fftw and guile-matrix to be official parts
> of the Guile project.

So if others people of Guile project accept this, this issue is over.

You should read carefully the following page
http://www.gnu.org/evaluation/evaluation.html

Regards,

--
Mathieu Roy