Re: add-on lib versioning (concrete example g-wrap) -- what to do?

From: Christopher Cramer
Subject: Re: add-on lib versioning (concrete example g-wrap) -- what to do?
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:37:29 -0600

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 02:25:46PM -0600, Rob Browning wrote:
> FWIW I'd also like to point out that this is definitely a point
> against guile in the broader "which language should I use for X
> project" arena.  I've actually seen it have a negative impact.  I also
> suspect that unless we address this, it's may be difficult for our
> outside guile-core "add-on" base to grow and maintain much long-term
> stability.

What have the other languages (i.e. Perl, Python) done wrt this
problem? They have presumably made a choice already and are dealing
the consequences.

>     - use a /usr/lib/guile/VERSION/ subdir for add on libs and just
>       figure out and deal with the -L/LD_LIBRARY_PATH/rpath issues.

I like this solution, but I guess it might cause too many other
problems.

--
Christopher Cramer <address@hidden> <http://www.pyro.net/~crayc/>
"Gore would have finished ahead by the barest of margins had he pursued