Re: [pthreads] performance test using fib.scm

From: Wolfgang Jaehrling
Subject: Re: [pthreads] performance test using fib.scm
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:27:09 +0100

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 11:02:14AM +0900, NIIBE Yutaka wrote:
> Wolfgang Jaehrling wrote:
>  > malloc() in glibc is thread-save, but not reentrant.  Since the
>  > behaviour of realloc() is unlikely to differ from malloc() in this
>  > respect, you most certainly have to protect calls to it with a lock.
>
> I think that we need some definition of terminology to avoid
> confusion.  You mean signal protection, with the word "lock", not a
> mutex, don't you?

Yes.  However, that malloc() in glibc is thread-save does not imply
that this is the case for other libc:s as well, so a mutex _might_
still be necessary for some systems.  If guile does not call malloc()
(or realloc()) from a signal handler, then it is supposed to not be a
problem for GNU/Linux and GNU/Hurd (and other systems using glibc).

Cheers,
GNU/Wolfgang