Re: goops and memoization

From: Rob Browning
Subject: Re: goops and memoization
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 20:56:18 -0600

Mikael Djurfeldt <address@hidden> writes:

> 2. Goops method optimizations should not be done in advance.  They are
>    supposed to be performed at the exact instance when a generic
>    function is called with a particular combination of argument types
>    for the first time.  That is of course possible to reconcile with
>    the steps above, although steps 3-4 will be folded into the
>    execution.

Hmm.  So what's your impression of how GOOPS might (or might not) fit
in with offline compilation where you might want to produce a .o file
that will be executed later?

(Note that although I've been talking about offline compilation, I'm
 not dead set on it, but I would like to understand the issues
 involved more clearly.)

--
Rob Browning
Previously @cs.utexas.edu