Re: C level threads...

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: Re: C level threads...
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 12:43:59 +0100

A further point:

I think you originally aimed for the Guile "disguise" of the pthread
API to be so close to the pthread API that it introduces zero
overhead.

But if you:

#define scm_mutex_lock(mx)    pthread_mutex_lock (mx)

guile-gtk-1.2 can't plug in scm_mutex_lock into glib's thread
interface.

Why can't we just keep the API as it has been the last few years?

According to the original API, the entries should be functions or
function pointers.  Then the above should be:

#define scm_mutex_init    pthread_mutex_init
#define scm_mutex_destroy pthread_mutex_destroy
#define scm_mutex_lock    pthread_mutex_lock

etc.

Can't we simply adhere to the old API without incompatible changes?