Re: C level threads...

From: Mikael Djurfeldt
Subject: Re: C level threads...
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 09:24:11 +0100

Marius Vollmer <address@hidden> writes:

> Ok, I have documented and implemented the C level thread API (mostly
> unchanged from what we had before I deprecated it),

Great!

But, there are several incompatible changes to the API.  I'm concerned
with the removal of the second argument in the creation functions.
I'd like you to add back this second arg because:

1. The second arg in scm_mutex_init and scm_cond_init contain flags
   some of which we might want to support in the future.  It would
   feel awkward to have to incomapibly add the second arg again...

2. In my view, we should actively support the second arg in
   scm_key_create already now.  That argument can be downright
   necessary for some applications.  The same probably holds for
   scm_thread_join.  Why not simply conform to the pthreads API in
   these two cases?

3. I don't find any compelling reason not to stay backward compatible.

> The C level API is not pluggable yet, and I have to admit that I
> didn't plan for that

No big problem, I think, since we can always

  #define scm_mutex_lock(mx) scm_thread.mutex_lock (mx)

Best regards,
Mikael