C level threads...

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: C level threads...
Date: 02 Dec 2002 02:30:37 +0100

Ok, I have documented and implemented the C level thread API (mostly
unchanged from what we had before I deprecated it), and reorganized
the thread implementation to revolve around this API.  The difference
between null-threads and coop-pthreads (implementation-wise, not
behavior-wise) is now very small, which should be a good thing.

I haven't yet ported coop threads over to the new arrangement, tho,
since I didn't had the time and I wanted to commit what I had anyway.
I will come back to this and reinstall coop support, hopefully soon.

Anyway, the default is now coop-pthreads and I think we should keep it
that way.  Threads should not be some thing that you have to configure
into your Guile and where you are lucky that you can get them, they
should be something that is always there (unless configured away).

The C level API is not pluggable yet, and I have to admit that I
didn't plan for that, but the thing is still 'hot' and ductile so if
someone wants to work on pluggable threads...