Re: Thread interface issues (was Re: C level mutices and condition varia

From: Marius Vollmer
Subject: Re: Thread interface issues (was Re: C level mutices and condition variables)
Date: 22 Nov 2002 22:27:25 +0100

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> Given the renewed discussion, could we not have both
>
> - a low level, implementation-dependent scm_t_mutex, with no fairness
>   guarantees, that is as native as possible w.r.t. the thread impl
>
> - fair SCM mutexes built on top of scm_t_mutex.

Yep, I think this is the way to go.  When I find some time, I'll
revert the deprecation of scm_t_mutex etc and document that API in
addition to the Scheme API.  I will make it so that when we use
pthreads, there wont be any overhead whatsoever when using scm_t_mutex
(compared to using pthreads directly).

Mikael, when you want to work on this yourself, that would be great.
Just tell me briefly.